Swanwick Murray Roche Lawyers

74 Victoria Parade, Rockhampton QLD 4700   •   (07) 4931 1888   •   SERVICE PORTAL

Road Accident Injuries Compensation Claim Law

Swanwick Murray Roche – Rockhampton & CQ Motor Vehicle and Car Accident Injury and Compensation Lawyers and Solicitors

Motor Vehicle Road Accident Claims Process

In the event you have been injured in a road accident in any type of vehicle, whether a car, truck, motor bike or bicycle then you may be entitled to compensation.

If you have lost income as a result of the accident you may be able to make a claim.

In Queensland the situation is governed by the compulsory third party scheme (CTP) which is insurance that is automatically paid by drivers of motor vehicles when paying their registration.

In respect to making a claim, the process is complex and it is very important that the correct steps in the matter are completed as there are strict time limits. Generally, the following process occurs:

  • The accident is reported to the police and they provide an incident number in respect to the event;
  • All parties provide their registration and information details;
  • Attendance on a medical specialist to complete the necessary medical certification;
  • Completion of a Motor Accident Notice of Claim Form;
  • Lodging of that Form with the insurer of the party who is at fault for the event.
What we do

Motor vehicle and car and motorbike accident and road accident and injury compensation law is a key service that we provide to corporate and private clients.

We provide compensation law services to corporate clients and individuals in all compensation areas including the following:-

Swanwick Murray Roche is a Queensland compensation and injury law firm.

Our Process

Our Queensland compensation law Lawyers and Solicitors will assist you with your compensation claim and ensure that you know about your rights and entitlements.

Our process is this:

Step 1: Get in touch – tell us what happened, we are here to listen.

Step 2: Free first consultation – our first consultation is free, we will organise to sit down with you anywhere in Australia and listen to your story and take down all the particulars we need to give you initial advice.

Step 3: Negotiation – We will manage all discussions with the insurer on your behalf to get you the best result possible.

Step 4: Settlement – We will process your payment as soon as we receive it.

No Win, No Fee

We offer no win, no fee compensation claim work. This means that if we take your case on and it isn’t successful then you won’t have to pay our legal fees. Speak to us more about how we can arrange a no win, no fee policy.

We will meet you anywhere

If you are involved in an accident or are injured, there will be so many overwhelming things for you to think about. Let us make it easier – we will come to you, anywhere in Australia by agreement, to make things easier for you.


How much will it cost to make a motor vehicle or car accident claim?

Every motor vehicle claim is different so compensation payouts will differ, depending on the severity of the accident suffered and the circumstances of the event. The total cost of the claim will depend on the amount of work the claim requires.

Will I need to go to court for a motor vehicle accident or car accident claim

Most motor vehicle accident claims are resolved before trial by way of settlement.

How much compensation will I receive for my motor vehicle or car accident claim

Every situation is different and injuries affect people in different ways, so compensation payouts for car accidents vary on a case by case basis. A minor accident to one person may impact another to a much greater extent. The considerations are wide ranging however, will be influenced by a number of factors including:

  • The extent of your injuries;
  • The amount of out of pocket expenses you had to pay;
  • The amount of income you have lost as a result of the accident;
  • The cost of any ongoing care.

The purpose of compensation is to compensate an injured party for loss or damage they have suffered as a consequence of the injury.

Who pays the motor vehicle or car accident compensation?

The compulsory third party insurer of the person involved will pay the compensation.

What type of motor vehicle accident related injuries can I claim for?

You can claim workers’ compensation injury for injury or illness sustained through work related activities. Some common injuries include:

  • Spinal injuries;
  • Whiplash injuries;
  • Burns;
  • Fractures;
  • Crush injuries;
  • Injuries to the respiratory system;
  • Psychological injuries;
  • Nervous shock in relation to the psychological reaction a family member has in respect to the news that a loved one has been involved in an accident;
  • Brain injuries;
  • Shoulder Injuries;
  • Neck Injuries;
  • Back Injuries;

Are there time limits as to how long I have to make a workers’ compensation claim?

Time limits vary under different State and Federal laws. It is important that you report your injury to your work and workers’ compensation insurer as soon as possible. Strict time limits do apply to Motor Vehicle compensation claims. To avoid missing any important dates, you should contact a Lawyer quickly.

Can I claim for a death of a member of my family who died in a Motor Vehicle  accident?

If a member of your family has died in a workplace accident you may be entitled to claim damages under the CTP legislation.

What happens if I don’t win my  claim?

If you aren’t awarded any compensation you won’t have to pay any of your legal fees however, you may have to cover the legal costs of the person or company which you made the claim against.

What if the vehicle involved in the accident is not registered or unidentified?

In these circumstances a statutory body called the Nominal Defendant is responsible for the claim and the claim continues as normal against the Nominal Defendant as opposed to the CTP insurer.  There are however far stricter time limits relating to Nominal Defendant claims.  To avoid missing any important dates, you should contact a Lawyer quickly.

If the motor vehicle or car accident was my fault, can I still make a claim?

This depends on whether you are fully at fault or partially at fault. If you are fully at fault, it is unlikely that you are entitled to any compensation. However, if you are partially at fault, you may be able to recover some compensation.

Can I claim income protection through my superannuation?

Yes you can. If you have taken out income protection as part of your superannuation policy. Also if you are forced out of your trade or job due to your injury you may be entitled to a superannuation lump sum.


Check out some of our recent legal updates and compensation resources that you might find useful on this Compensation Resources link. Please remember that these updates and resources are general guidance only. If you need legal advice, you should contact us to discuss your matter as your personal circumstances may not suit the circumstances described in the updates and resources.


To talk about your matter – reach out to us via any means to start a conversation. All of our contact information is listed here on our Contact Page.