Robert comes from the Blackall-Barcaldine area in Central Western Queensland where he grew up in the family business of mustering, droving, fencing and yard building. He attended high school at The Cathedral College in Rockhampton and university at Bond University on the Gold Coast where he completed a Bachelor of Laws with majors in energy & environment law, commercial law and dispute resolution. Finishing his degree at the age of 19, he worked a bit more with his father before trading in the gidgyea posts and barb run for the legal world at Swanwick Murray Roche.
Robert has a strong passion for his local community trusting that, in the country way, if everyone pitches in – a stronger community will be forged. He is an active member of the Central Queensland Law Association and holds board positions with the Finance Council for the Roman Catholic Trust Corporation for the Diocese of Rockhampton, Rockhampton Museum of Art Philanthropy Board, Central Queensland University Rockhampton Regional Engagement Committee, End Loneliness Inc all while maintaining an interest in an array of other organisations.
With such a local focus, Robert relates to people all over Central Queensland and Central Western Queensland, understanding the unique obstacles and benefits associated with this part of the world.
Robert’s focus is to build a relationship of trust with his clients. He believes that open communication between you and the lawyer will only help to strengthen your business. Ensuring that quality advice is provided in a timely manner is a key goal for Robert.
Areas of Practice
Robert practices in the following areas:
- Acting for landlord and tenant clients with relation to state land subleases, retail shopping centre leases (25+ tenancies), commercial and industrial (including business depots and service stations) leases.
- Acting for 40+ schools in Queensland in providing day to day advice, policy and procedure management, contract development work.
- Acting as legal response coordinator in incident response matters for SMEs including response to corruption, illegal activities, social media attacks.
- Reviewing high value electricity contracts, software contracts, services agreements, ICT agreements and other associated documents.
- Acting for purchaser and seller clients both in Rockhampton, Queensland and interstate with relation to retail, commercial and industrial investment properties including off the plan retail sites, established retail and commercial sites from Townsville to Brisbane and all over Queensland.
- Acting for purchaser and seller clients with relation to business sales including sales and purchases of franchises (including Pedders, Red Rooster, Subway, Laser Clinics Australia and others) and existing businesses.
- Acting for rural families all over Central Queensland in handling property purchases, sales, share farm, agistment agreements and leases and also preparing succession plans and testamentary documents.
- Acting for families with disabled children including particularly in relation to succession planning, guardianship applications, trusts and so on.
- Acting for business owners and looking at structuring options including asset protection and risk mitigation
- Providing day to day advice for small medium and large businesses
- Reviewing and advising on compensation agreements, mining leases, tenure arrangements, profit a prendre arrangements.
- Advising on water licenses and water allocations